Friday, April 10, 2009

Mr. Bungle - California







I cant find a quality review snippet to cut and paste, so I'll try to do this album justice with my own ramblings. I post alot of things on here that I'm sure many people have already heard, or are well aware of. this blog is not for those guys. This blog is for those type of people who think Mike Patton was only the singer of Faith no More, and for those who may have heard of a band but never taken the time to check out what I consider essential listening. To me California is the quintessential Mike Pattton record. It goes everywhere any of his other output has gone only this is by for the most streamlined and accessible for new listeners. You see, Mr. Bungle is not your everyday rock band or punk band, or jazz band, or death metal band, or acopella band or etc... Mr. Bungle takes just about every imaginable musical style and somehow incorporates it into one flawless piece. some songs are soft and mellow like the first track "sweet charity" which sounds somewhere along the lines of Frank Sinatra on some sort of pharmaceutical. and then there are other efforts like "ars morendi" that reminds me of an Italian circus house band performing on acid. and there are so many other great tracks on here like "air conditioned nightmare", " goodbye sober day" and "pink cigarette" that just makes this album so worth checking out. This is one of those albums that will remain in my top five favorites for the foreseeable future.


Bastardmaker Loves You

No comments: